What We Believe
Twin Oaks Church – Sabetha, KS
OUR STATEMENT OF FAITH
We, as members of Twin Oaks Church, do fully embrace and gladly subscribe to this Statement of Faith of the Evangelical Free Church of America as follows:
1. We believe in one God, Creator of all things, holy, infinitely perfect, and eternally existing in a loving unity of three equally divine Persons: the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Having limitless knowledge and sovereign power, God has graciously purposed from eternity to redeem a people for Himself and to make all things new for His own glory.
2. We believe that God has spoken in the Scriptures, both Old and New Testaments, through the words of human authors. As the verbally inspired Word of God, the Bible is without error in the original writings, the complete revelation of His will for salvation, and the ultimate authority by which every realm of human knowledge and endeavor should be judged. Therefore, it is to be believed in all that it teaches, obeyed in all that it requires, and trusted in all that it promises.
THE HUMAN CONDITION
3. We believe that God created Adam and Eve in His image, but they sinned when tempted by Satan. In union with Adam, human beings are sinners by nature and by choice, alienated from God, and under His wrath. Only through God’s saving work in Jesus Christ can we be rescued, reconciled and renewed.
4. We believe that Jesus Christ is God incarnate, fully God and fully man, one Person in two natures. Jesus-Israel’s promised Messiah-was conceived through the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary. He lived a sinless life, was crucified under Pontius Pilate, arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father as our High Priest and Advocate.
THE WORK OF CHRIST
5. We believe that Jesus Christ, as our representative and substitute, shed His blood on the cross as the perfect, all-sufficient sacrifice for our sins. His atoning death and victorious resurrection constitute the only ground for salvation.
THE HOLY SPIRIT
6. We believe that the Holy Spirit, in all that He does, glorifies the Lord Jesus Christ. He convicts the world of its guilt. He regenerates sinners, and in Him they are baptized into union with Christ and adopted as heirs in the family of God. He also indwells, illuminates, guides, equips and empowers believers for Christ-like living and service.
7. We believe that the true church comprises all who have been justified by God’s grace through faith alone in Christ alone. They are united by the Holy Spirit in the body of Christ, of which He is the Head. The true church is manifest in local churches, whose membership should be composed only of believers. The Lord Jesus mandated two ordinances, baptism and the Lord’s Supper, which visibly and tangibly express the gospel. Though they are not the means of salvation, when celebrated by the church in genuine faith, these ordinances confirm and nourish the believer.
8. We believe that God’s justifying grace must not be separated from His sanctifying power and purpose. God commands us to love Him supremely and others sacrificially, and to live out our faith with care for one another, compassion toward the poor and justice for the oppressed. With God’s Word, the Spirit’s power, and fervent prayer in Christ’s name, we are to combat the spiritual forces of evil. In obedience to Christ’s commission, we are to make disciples among all people, always bearing witness to the gospel in word and deed.
9. We believe in the personal, bodily and premillennial return of our Lord Jesus Christ. The coming of Christ, at a time known only to God, demands constant expectancy and, as our blessed hope, motivates the believer to godly living, sacrificial service and energetic mission.
RESPONSE AND ETERNAL DESTINY
10. We believe that God commands everyone everywhere to believe the gospel by turning to Him in repentance and receiving the Lord Jesus Christ. We believe that God will raise the dead bodily and judge the world, assigning the unbeliever to condemnation and eternal conscious punishment and the believer to eternal blessedness and joy with the Lord in the new heaven and the new earth, to the praise of His glorious grace. Amen.
In full harmony with this statement of faith, we as members of Twin Oaks Church, do underscore the following truths from God’s Word that are associated with this statement:
THE ETERNAL SECURITY AND ASSURANCE OF THE BELIEVER IN CHRIST
We believe that all the saved – those in whom God has accomplished His transforming work of Grace – are kept by His power and are, thus, secure in Christ forever. It is their privilege to rejoice in the assurance of their salvation. However, this assurance is not the occasion for sin, for God in His holiness cannot tolerate persistent sin in His children, and in His infinite love He corrects them. True faith in Christ is expressed by a fruitful, God-pleasing life. (Romans 5:24 and John 10:28-29)
THE PERSON OF SATAN
We believe that the spiritual forces of evil are led by Satan, who in pride rebelled against God, was cast down from his place in heaven, was judged at the cross, will ultimately be cast into the Lake of Fire, and remain there eternally. At present, he seeks to kill, steal, and destroy all that belongs to God. (Luke 10:18; John 12:31; Romans 16:20 and Revelation 12:7-9; 20:1-10)
THE BOND OF MARRIAGE
We believe that God has ordained marriage and defined it as the covenant relationship between a man and a woman. TWIN OAKS CHURCH will only recognize marriages between one biological man and one biological woman. (Genesis 2:24, Matthew 19:4-6) Further, the pastors and staff of TWIN OAKS CHURCH shall only participate in weddings and solemnize marriages between one man and one woman, and the facilities and property of TWIN OAKS CHURCH shall only host weddings between one man and one woman.